Translate

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wow!

Cleaning out one of my craft storage spots in the house (yes, I have many..hush!) I found a 3 ring binder with documentation to projects I have done and put into displays or competitions.  This predated me having a blog or facebook.  I think this weekend I will scan them in and post them as picture entries.  It was a cook trip down memory lane.

In the binder there was the Gothic era outfit hand sewn completely from the underwear out, a stump-work QoC glove, my black work coif, a laurel hood, a black work chalice cover and a hand bound leather book.

Ill work on that for Sunday..... STAY TUNED! :D

Now that it has been given...

This past weekend at Mudthaw here in the East Kingdom, a friend was elevated to the Order of the Pelican.  I was asked to create for him a hood for his regalia.  The woman organizing it sent me two yards of the fabric and I went to work.

Materials:
2 yards teal wool
5x5 square of white silk dupioni
tiny piece of brown silk dupioni
Black, red and gold Splendor Silk Embroidery floss
fusible webbing

I reused an image for a Pelican in Piety from the cloak I made for a friend this past summer. I love the image and was glad to use it again. I embroidered the white silk fabric with the image of the pelican and her babies. I appliqued on the brown next and did some embroidery on it to make it look like a bundle of sticks.

I trimmed the silk into a circle and appliqued it onto the hood i had sewn up earlier in the day.  I did a blanket stitch in gold silk around the  medallion. I lined the cloak and sewed up the face and hem.  I then put running stitches along the hems to hide the machine stitching.  Im very pleased with how it came out.
After finishing the blanket stitch

Cloak on display during his vigil

As he was walking down from court after being elevated.

These were the only pictures I have of the hood. I processed in for his elevation holding the hood and therefore couldn't take pictures myself, though a friend used my camera to do it. Besides...I had something in my eye and I couldn't see very well. It was a beautiful and moving ceremony.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Another project complete!

So, as most scadians do, I have a list of projects to do.  Most are for friends and some are for me. I have been whittling that list down and to be honest its almost empty. One of the most recent projects I finished I said I would make for a friend about a year and a half ago. He created this absolutely stunning tudor outfit for himself and I made the comment blackwork cuffs and a collar would add a nice touch to it and said I would make him a set.

Well, as real life gets, time got away from me, kids kept me busy, work, etc but I finished them last week.  Here are a couple of pictures of them.


Its black cotton DMC thread on white linen.  It took me about a week to get all the embroidery done.
I mailed them off to the gentle last week and am waiting to hear of when they arrive. I hope he likes them...and remembers i said I'd make them! HAHAHAHA!

Something I forgot..

Just a quick blurb about a project I assisted on this summer. When Countess Alethea Eastriding was elevated to the Order of the Pelican, I was asked to help make a cloak for her. So along with the help of Lady Ysemay Sterlyng, Baroness Mathilde de Cadenet and Lady Alienaora (hope I spelled that correctly), we put together a beautiful cloak for her.  
Here is a shot I took of here after the cloak was placed on her:






Unfortunately I didnt get a close up of the Pelican symbol that I assisted in embroidering so I will post the one shot I have of it here (this was prior to it being attached to the cloak).

It is made of silk dupioni fabric and embroidered with Splendor Silk embroidery threads.  Baroness Mathilde helped me embroider this piece.  We appliqued it onto the back of the cloak and couched gold metal trim around it.  It looked beautiful.