Translate

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Elevation Book Completed

So, after a trip to pick up end papers, I sat down last night and completed the construction of the elevation book.  For the most part I am very pleased with how it turned out.  I took extensive photos of its construction, a pictorial documentation. 
Pages being stitched together using linen thread.

Adding ribbons for binding and strength

How ribbons will lay once glued in place

Gluing the ribbons in place. I always smear the glue to spread it.

Boards Glued to the linen lining (helps protect the glue from showing on the silk)

Fold the corners in and stitch closed

Shows corner stitching completed

Book cover assembly done

Gluing in the stitched book pages. The book glue in the picture is what I used.


Showing the pages within the book

End paper chosen for the book

End papers cut to size and glued in
Finished book, front cover

Spine

Back cover
I put the book in the book press very lightly overnight to allow it to dry in the proper positioning. When I took it out this morning I was so very pleased with it.  Today I will be mailing it off to the recipient for their elevation on the 12th.  Sadly, I will be unable to attend this joyous occasion due to real life. Real life sucks sometimes, ya know?

Well, onto the next project!

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Making the Elevation book

Last night I spent a couple hours cutting book board and parchment paper pages for the Laurel Elevation book. Tonight I will stitch the pages together and then assemble the book. I have to make a quick run to the craft store for some end papers (and I was really hoping to avoid going to a retail store during the month of December, oh well).

Here are a few pictures I took:

All the supplies laid out

Cutting the book board

Pages cut and folded and setting in the press for flattening

Press set. Will remove and stitch pages this evening
Things of note:
1. This book board was easier to cut with a hearty pair of scissors than the exacto blade method. I did cut it with the box cutter, but had to trim it more due to rough edges. I grabbed a pair of scissors and found they performed much better.  Pictures of the cover cut out later when i get to book assembly.

2. I am wishing i had a paper cutter for cutting the pages. Would have sped up the process of cutting the parchment.

3. I am grateful for my friend MJ who gave me the book press on long term loan as it is an immense help. Its actually a flower press but works great for this purpose as well.

Tonight...page stitching, book assembly...and, of course, more photographs!

Cheers!