Showing posts from 2012

Started Knitting Again...

My laurel came to visit last weekend and brought a present from a mutual friend down: a skein of yarn for me to knit with. The intended project was a pair of fingerless mitts but there wasn't quite enough in the skein to do that. So, I found a hat pattern and proceeded to knit my first hat.

Here it is, completed about fifteen minutes ago.

Its quite toasty!

I got the pattern from here:

My youngest son wants me to make him one in red and black. :) I can do that!

Starting a new project: Apprentege tippets!

At Balfar's Challenge in April, I was made the Protoge to Master Ernst Nuss von Kitzingen and the Apprentice of Mistress Mirabel Belchere. In lieu of a belt...or two, I was given tippets made of wool: one yellow and one green.  Well, I discovered during the warmer weather that wool tippets were...uncomfortable. So, I was charged with making linen ones with their arms embroidered on the ends. Here is the start of that project.  My diningroom lighting has made the fabric look olive colored but it is quite kelly green. 

Drawing wyverns on fabric has proven to be more difficult than I thought but, here is my pattern for which I will embroider on. Her arms colors are yellow and blue. 

More pictures as I progress along.

Faux Braided hair buns

It has been some time since I have posted any updates....but don't think I havent been busy! I attended Crown Tourney with my Pelican in May in Halifax, NS.  For the occasion I decided I needed to dress up my look. :) Having seen a good friend make a pair of these for herself, I asked if she minded if I made myself a pair (Thanks Vienna!)

So here is how I went about doing it:

I purchased some fake hair from a local store and some gold ribbon, tulle and coated wire.

 It was fairly close to my hair color. I had a hard time finding one that matched my own.
I found this lovely gold braid in Joanne Fabrics and braided it into the hair so it would peek through here and there.

 Formed two rings about 4" across out of the covered wire and joined together.
 I crisscrossed some gold metallic ribbon to make a woven look over the tulle i wrapped around the wire. I left the tulle loose so that it could be filled by the hair.
 Here is the pocket with the gold ribbon stitched on.
 I took…

Tyger's Cub Medallions

My friend's two boys were inducted into the Order of the Tyger's Cub and I surprised them by embroidering their medallions. Here they are:
I made the cords via a lucet with cotton DMC thread (wasnt using silk on medallions for two small boys)

This one I did cross stitch on. it was hard to do the stitching with such tight weave fabric, but I managed.
With this one, I did period tent stitching.
Inside the medallions are heavy stainless steel rings and i self stuffed the medallions when i stitched the fabric around them. There is a piece of red fabric on the back to hide the stitching. They liked them alot! :D

Future Project (no set deadline)

I know its allegorical, but I am so going to embroider a gown this way! LOVE IT!

A New Lesson: Bayeux tapestry Stitch

I know its a bit difficult to see, but on this little piece of linen are two beasties that my Laurel sketched out for me from the Bayeux Tapestry. She is going to teach me how to do the stitching that covers that piece of lovely embroidery. They are two beasties facing one another, gryphons I believe. I have been given four colors of wool and instructions on how to do the outlining.
This is the outlining stitch I am using for the beasties.

Ive been working at it for about half an hour and have gotten the tail outlined and the startings of one of its back feet.
More updates as I progress but right now...a little WoW I think.

Ernst's book: Part 3: Assembly

Here are all the pieces laid out on Markessa's table, ready to start the assembly process of the book. With assembling the book, I had to cut the book board for the hard cover. Using the text block as a guide, I cut the book board a hair larger than the actual block. Used the exacto blade in the picture to cut through the board. (and oh boy did my hand hurt the next day!)

While I was at it, I cut the end papers to the book board size as well.

Pictured above is the three pieces cut out. Next I laid out the embroidered silk face down and laid the book board pieces in place to make sure they would line up. I lightly, and I mean VERY LIGHTLY coated the book board with glue so that it would adhere to the fabric. I did not want the glue to seep through to the silk layer, hence the very light layer of it. Once glued, we placed it under a heavy book for about ten minutes to let it set up before I started stitching the corners.

I trimmed some of the corner fabric away to lessen the thickness …

Quickie Project

Just a little something I whipped up today. The idea came to me so I ran with it. Love how it came out, though. Thinking about making this a badge for myself...hmmm.

Ernst's Book: Pt. 2 - Embroidery

So, now that the text block was assembled and being pressed, with the measurements I took off of it (with the book board thickness included in that), it was time to start the embroidery.
I bought a half yard of burgandy silk dupioni fabric that had very little slubbing in the weave. Was actually quite pleased with this as I found it at Joanne's and usually their dupioni is pretty slubby.
At the same time I purchased burgandy linen to match. I felt if I embroidered directly onto the silk with nothing behind it, it wouldnt be strong enough and the stitching would pull through or bunch up the fabric showing more of the needle holes.
I used the scroll frame pictured here to do all the embroidery.
Design...let me speak on that for a moment. Other than the "E", I had free reign to do what I wanted. Since I was told this was a gift for someone (and I still do not know who), I wanted to make the design so that it was appropriate for either a male or female. I did a lot of searching…