Recent project: Embroidered Bliaut
So, my good friend says in passing "Ive always wanted an orange gown..."
Well, guess what I did? :D
Fabrics-store.com has a great selection of linen. So, after some searching of their site, i found this gorgeous linen called "spiced pumpkin". The color, online looked more muted than when it arrived. I washed and dried the linen, which lightened the color only ever so slightly. In line with my friends persona, I made her a non gathered bliaut and embroidered the neckline. I am really quite proud of how it came out and she loved it. She says its going to be called the "cozy cone" gown! :D
Delivered at Pennsic, she decided not to wear it till this weekend at The Feast of John Barleycorn in NY.
The gown is made from 100% linen.
The embroidery pattern was actually taken from a stencil created by DMC specific for embroidery. Upon inspection it is actually very close to a period reference i have. (let me find the book and Ill post an image from it) The embroidery was done with cotton thread (for stability and with funds being snug I have DMC cotton thread on hand) and worked in split stitch. Since the fabric and thread were prewashed and dried, it makes it a very easy gown to care for. Im very happy with how this came out and so was Mathilde.