Sunday, September 11, 2011

Recent project: Embroidered Bliaut

So, my good friend says in passing "Ive always wanted an orange gown..."

Well, guess what I did? :D

Fabrics-store.com has a great selection of linen. So, after some searching of their site, i found this gorgeous linen called "spiced pumpkin". The color, online looked more muted than when it arrived. I washed and dried the linen, which lightened the color only ever so slightly. In line with my friends persona, I made her a non gathered bliaut and embroidered the neckline. I am really quite proud of how it came out and she loved it. She says its going to be called the "cozy cone" gown! :D

Delivered at Pennsic, she decided not to wear it till this weekend at The Feast of John Barleycorn in NY.

The gown is made from 100% linen.
The embroidery pattern was actually taken from a stencil created by DMC specific for embroidery. Upon inspection it is actually very close to a period reference i have. (let me find the book and Ill post an image from it) The embroidery was done with cotton thread (for stability and with funds being snug I have DMC cotton thread on hand) and worked in split stitch. Since the fabric and thread were prewashed and dried, it makes it a very easy gown to care for. Im very happy with how this came out and so was Mathilde.

1 comment:

  1. You said in the article "Upon inspection it is actually very close to a period reference i have. (let me find the book and Ill post an image from it)"
    Could you please? I am having a debate...read grump....with a colleague on just this pattern and I am blowed if I can find the ref.no.
    FB Meg McLean or polfearn@yahoo.co.uk

    Fankooo

    ReplyDelete

 Hi!  I have moved my blog to wordpress. After a short I will be shutting this one down.  Here is the link to the new site where i backed up...