So, for the past few weeks I have been working on a peerage cloak for a friend of mine who was given her writ at Birka in January. Last night at East Kingdom 50 Year, she was elevated to the Order of the Laurel and I can safely post the finished pictures of the finished cloak now. I am so very pleased with how it came out. Sadly, the heat from the day forced me to leave early and I was unable to present the cloak myself and see her face when she saw it. I found this picture of her wearing it online this morning.
Materials: Cloak is constructed of navy blue wool and golden linenAll embroidery was done by hand in split stitch, blanket stitch, stem stitch and satin stitch with Splendor Silk embroidery threads on linen and then hand appliqued onto the cloak. There is tablet woven trim that was made by a friend of hers in her shire. 90% of the cloak was hand sewn except for the joining seam of lining to outer wool fabric. She chose the design and style to span her two persona's.
100% linen fabric 4 yards washed and dried
Cottom DMC Embroidery thread
Coats and Clark sewing thread
Made this tunic for Ryan for his first event, River Wars in Iron Bog in the East Kingdom. He chose a 12th c viking persona (still hashing it out) and i made this. It was unembellished at the time so afterwards I took some time to spiff it up. I used a double herringbone stitch around the cuffs, collar and sleeves and used a split stitch to line all the seams. I am very pleased with how it came out as was Ryan.
Tunic completed, folded up
Detail of hem embroidery
Detail of cuffs
Detail of the neckline embroidery
close up of neckline
Detail of split stitch in the arm pit
whole tunic image (yes, he is tall)
It was a busy few weeks leading up to Pennsic. I was making items to be delivered to people there. I had a request for four Queen's Order of Courtesy roses for gloves by his Majesty. I embroidered them using stranded silk on linen fabric. They are pictured below:
Her highness requested a stouter surcoat for herself to wear while she did combat archery in the battles. I created one based off the shape of one of the Prince surcoat that is in the regalia. It is constructed of linen with appliqued roses and the crown on both front and back. I used a modern iron on adhesive to adhere it to the linen and then used a blanket stitch on the edges to embellish it and aid in fraying prevention
Here are a couple pictures of her Highness Matilde wearing it into battle.
Another project that went to war as a surprise for their Highness's of the East were two pilgrim bags for their retainers to carry their daily necessary items in. They are constructed of navy blue wool and embroidered …