Saturday, January 13, 2018

Embroidered Tunic

A friend contacted me and asked if I could embroider a tunic for him. I assumed he wanted me to construct one and embroider it but he sent me a blue linen tunic via SCA courier.  I thought adding black embroidered linen to the blue tunic would be more dressy.  Also, in period, embroidery was done on separate pieces of linen then appliqued onto the garment so that when the garment deteriorated beyond wearing, they could remove the embroidery and attach it to a new garment. Materials used were black linen fabric and Splendor silk embroidery thread.  Stitches used were double herringbone stitch and split stitch. 

The knotwork embroidery was executed in split stitch.

Adding herringbone stitch to hide the mundane machine stitches used to attach the piece.

Completed embroidery for sleeves and hem of the tunic. 



Knotwork dogs on center of neckline.

Completed tunic. 

I am very pleased with how it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Hi!  I have moved my blog to wordpress. After a short I will be shutting this one down.  Here is the link to the new site where i backed up...